There is often a general misconception that "logo design" and "branding" are the same thing. Sometimes these two terms are even used synonymously. However, although they are closely related and should work together harmoniously, they are actually very different processes.
A logo design is an easily recognizable graphic symbol that identifies a company, a commercial product, any public or private institution. Wherever you are, every moment is filled with graphic elements that try to grab our attention. A logo is one of the ways to distinguish a brand in a commercially competitive world. A logo is usually a combination of typography, graphics/symbols, and colors. It is a most important graphic element that is part of a brand's visual identity.
Chanel's logo and branding is one of the most famous among luxury brands. It consists of two interlocking C's and the word CHANEL written in all headings. Sometimes the brand uses the two C's separately (for example on some product packaging) or just the "CHANEL" part (for example on the website). Therefore, the logo has multiple uses in different channels. This is an example that fits well with the definition of logo and branding. It's not over, now let's move on to the brand definition.
A brand is the idea or image that pops up in a company's mind when thinking about certain products, services and activities in both a practical and emotional way. This physical and emotional combination is triggered when exposed to all points of contact between a person and a visual identity. These could be brand name, logo, products, personnel or advertisement. After seeing the logo and if you are somewhat familiar with the brand, some images and emotions may come to mind; It might look like the photo collage above. Some people may feel luxury and elegance, remember the founder of the brand as a fashion icon, think of products (make-up, clothing, accessories), high prices or in-store experience. The experience and perception will be different for each of us. However, as a result of CHANEL's branding strategy, the overall impression of the brand should be fairly similar for the general population. This is how CHANEL's brand awareness and positioning on people has been designed.
Logo design is a logo design process. Branding is the process of creating a brand. To be more specific, it is a strategy designed by companies to help people quickly identify their products and organizations and give them a reason to choose their product over their competitors. A branding strategy clarifies what a particular brand is and isn't. Marking can be done using different tools. Some of the elements used in the branding strategy are:
• Brand definition: purpose, values, promise
• Brand positioning
• Brand identity: name, tone of voice, visual identity design (includes logo design)
• Advertising and communication: Social media, Television, radio, magazines, outdoor advertisements, website, mobile applications etc.
• Sponsorship and partnerships
• Product and packaging design
• In-store experience
• Workspace experience and management style
• Customer service
• Pricing strategy
As you can see, logo design is one of the tools used to design the visual identity of a brand. Feeling that you now better understand the difference between a logo and a brand, let's move on to why this job is so important to companies.
Although a logo is only one of the elements of branding, it will mostly be visible to customers and other stakeholders on social media, web design, catalog designs, financial documents, packaging designs, advertisements and stores. Therefore, the logo design should be considered as one of the main graphic elements that allow people to quickly identify an organization, its products and services. And most of the time, it will be the first thing people will use to describe you. This is how important a well-designed logo and branding goals are:
1. A well-designed logo allows people to quickly identify and remember your brand:A logo is one of the main points of identity for your customers and other stakeholders. Then it helps to identify your brand in a few seconds, across different channels and touchpoints.
2. Creates consistency over different communication channels:In today's world, businesses and organizations have websites, blogs, social media, events, brochures, business cards, etc. It is found to be of the same value on various platforms, including
3. The brand is part of your identity:Your brand or organization's logo will be part of your brand identity. This is very important because it is one of the main tools to graphically represent your brand name, values and personality to the other people you come in contact with.
4. Creates a professional image and increases expectations:People expect a brand to have a professional look, starting with its logo. A good logo design made by an expert designer will make your brand stand out and also look more credible. Also, working with a professional design agency will increase your chances of having a unique, innovative logo that reflects your brand's identity.
5. It will differentiate your brand from your competitors:Brands can play with logo design to differentiate themselves from their competitors. Using different colors, shapes, styles and typographies for logo design is a great way to show what your brand is and isn't compared to your competitors. A good logo design will also help people remember the brand in the industry.
6. You can establish an emotional connection with your stakeholders and increase brand loyalty:When people see your logo, they should instantly connect with your brand. A good logo design will help improve people's memory in your organization and how it makes them feel. If the emotion is positive, it contributes to the emotional connection with the brand, among other elements of your logo and branding strategy, whether the person is a potential customer, employee or supplier.
Conclusion In conclusion, a logo is a graphic element that represents the brand, while a brand is a combination of all the tangible and intangible elements that represent the organization. Without the brand, the logo would have no real meaning, just a graphical element. Taken together, a well-designed logo and an effective branding strategy help organizations reach their audiences effectively, but also create an industry-leading, resilient brand. If you are an entrepreneur and considering creating a new brand, do not underestimate the importance of a well-designed logo that fits your overall brand strategy. It will be a beneficial investment for your brand and organization in the long run.
Contact us for your Logo Design and Branding needs. Let us carry out the brand management of your company and products so that you can be successful in the sector.